- The John Lewis Partnership is the UK's largest example of worker co-ownership where all 76,500 staff are Partners in the business
- 30,000 of these Partners work for John Lewis
- There are 38 John Lewis shops across the UK (30 department stores and eight John Lewis at home)
- John Lewis is the Official Department Store Provider to London 2012
- There are 277 Waitrose supermarkets
John Lewis, regularly voted the UK’s favourite retailer, began trading in 1864 with the opening of our first shop in London's Oxford Street. Since then, and through the efforts of our 81,000 Partners (staff), we have succeeded in becoming the largest multi-channel retailer in the UK, with 38 John Lewis shops (30 department stores and eight John Lewis at home) and a growing online business johnlewis.com.
John Lewis is part of the John Lewis Partnership and is a different sort of company. Each member of staff is a Partner, with a shared responsibility for the company and a drive to put its success first. We are the largest example of worker co-ownership in the UK and each year we share our profits with each of our Partners in the form of an annual bonus.
Never Knowingly Undersold
'Never Knowingly Undersold' has been a key part of the John Lewis brand since 1925 and is our unique and lifelong commitment to giving our customers the best value through great products at great prices, supported by great service. For more details on ‘Never Knowingly Undersold’ please click here.
John Lewis department stores
There are 30 John Lewis full-line department stores, each typically stocking more than 350,000 separate lines. A future John Lewis department store set to open is in Birmingham (adjacent to New Street station in Birmingham city centre which will open in 2014) . Our shop on Oxford Street and in Bluewater include a John Lewis Foodhall from Waitrose. For more details of existing or planned shops please click here.
John Lewis at home
A John Lewis at home shop focuses exclusively on furniture, furnishing accessories, electrical and home technology in a relaxed and inspiring environment. The John Lewis at home concept successfully launched in Poole in October 2009 and an additional three shops opened in 2010 - Croydon, Swindon and Tunbridge Wells. In 2011, two further at homes were opened in Chester and Tamworth. Chichester and Newbury opened in April 2012, along with a small full line department store due to open in Exeter later in the year. Another at home in Ipswish is planned for 2013. For more details of existing or planned John Lewis at home shops please click here.
Our website - johnlewis.com
The johnlewis.com website stocks more than 200,000 lines and is consistently ranked one of the top online shopping destinations in the UK. In May 2010 John Lewis achieved the accolade of the Best Online Retailer in the Which? Awards. In October 2010 johnlewis.com also came top in Webcredible's 2010 Online Usability Report. In June 2011 John Lewis announced that customers shopping on its website would be able to have orders delivered to selected international destinations.
John Lewis Insurance
John Lewis Insurance offers a distinctive range of insurance products specially chosen with Partnership customers in mind. We work with a panel of insurers including AXA, Fortis and Friends Provident to provide products that are both excellent quality and good value.
London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games
John Lewis is proud to be the official department store provider to the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games. As part of this partnership with LOCOG (The London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games) John Lewis operates Official London 2012 Shops within all of its department stores. John Lewis will furnish lounge and reception areas at key Games-time venues as well as offering Partners (staff) the opportunity to support LOCOG in the operation and build-up to the Games. Further to our sponsorship with LOCOG, John Lewis Partnership has developed 'Partners in Sport' an initiative to put something back into the community through sport which includes sponsoring several London 2012 hopefuls as well as funding sports coaches.
Award winning retailer
John Lewis's success as a retailer has been highlighted by a series of recent award wins:
- PRCA Awards 2012: Best Digital and New Media Campaign for 'The Long Wait' Christmas advert 2011 & In-House PR team of the year
- PayPal etail Awards 2012: Best Multichannel Retailer 2012
- Verdict Consumer Satisfaction Index: In April 2012 John Lewis was voted ‘Britain's favourite electricals retailer'
- House Beautiful Awards 2011: John Lewis was named Best Online Retailer and runner up for Best Home Retailer
- Ecommerce Awards for Excellence 2011: John Lewis was named Best Multichannel Retailer
- Verdict Consumer Satisfaction Index: In March 2011 John Lewis was voted the ‘Britain’s favourite retailer’ for the fourth consecutive year in Verdict’s poll of consumers
- Oracle Retail Week Awards 2011: In March 2011 The John Lewis Partnership (John Lewis along with Waitrose) won Retailer of the Year
- UK Customer Satisfaction Index (UKCSI): In January 2011 John Lewis came joint top (along with Waitrose) in the survey by the Institute of Customer Service
Weekly Sales Summary
To view our weekly sales summary please click here.